Wednesday, August 27, 2008

a new chapter

I think I must have left you with a little bit of a cliff-hanger ending there, what with me saying we were off to move, then no word from me for a few days. Visions of the moving truck careening off the highway may have entered your mind. Not so, not so! We arrived here safe and sound as planned, ready to start our new life.

The first few days after we got here was acclimating ourselves to our new environment, unpacking, getting the kids adjusted to their new surroundings. It's an adjustment, but so far, so good.

School started Monday. I know it's only been a few days, but, what a change.

After only 3 days my son seems to be happy - maybe happier - than I've seen him in school ever before. This is a little boy who has been attending fairly rigorous programs for 3 years now, so he knows school. Monday morning when I walked him into his classroom his teachers were right there, calling him by name, bending down to look him straight in the eye, gently directing him. They told him that they were excited to see him, and that they were happy he was there. I found myself walking out with such different feelings from my previous departures on the first day. Instead of wondering if he was in good hands, I just knew he was. It was a very liberating feeling. When I walked out I was thinking about other things - the day ahead, my schedule for the week, errands I needed to run. And except for a few fleeting thoughts about him during the day, my mind wasn't consumed by him/school/him/school/him/school. For once.

Son #2 is also adjusting, but it could take him longer to get used to things. He cried when I left on the first day and told me the second day was "worse than the day before". I don't know what to think about this just yet, but I suspect that part of his reaction is normal feedback for a 3-almost-4 year-old not used to school, dealing with a move and not knowing anyone around him.

More to report later, but in the meantime, thanks for checking on me and us. We are doing fine and I'll hopefully find my camera cord soon so I can download pictures to share.

9 comments:

lisagh said...

Hi Meg!
Please email me your new address so I can update my Christmas card list.

Can't wait to see your new little cottage!

tommie said...

I can't wait to see pics!

I hear you on the moving. We have been here a month today and I am just now feeling like we are making progress. I still have the dining room, but we had to order furniture.....so that doesn't count.

Rosemary said...

That is really great news!!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Rosemary

Jenny said...

Glad to hear things are going well.
I am looking forward to pictures of your new house too.

Maureen said...

I have read your blog for awhile, but haven't been good about commenting. I am glad the move went well, and that your son is in a great school. Hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your lovely family during your transition.

hqm said...

So glad the move was smooth! Looking forward to hearing more about the boys school year and your new cottage

Meg said...

Thanks for all of these nice wishes! When and if I get my camera cord, I will show you where I'm living. It's not a cottage - yet. But it's nice. :)

JennyLa said...

Glad you made it and your oldest is doing well in school--I know how hard it can be to find the right place. I had the hardest time with my guys when they were at the 3-4 year old stage. Never wanted to go to school.

You have inspired me to start me own blog, however it's slow going! Thanks for the inspiration.