Tuesday, July 18, 2006

a project completed










The kitchen is one of my favorite examples of our progress. You can see in the before/after pictures above how it looked when we moved in and how it looks now. When we first moved in we painted the cupboards white and the walls blue. Then, my husband's parents gave us a dishwasher for Christmas (much appreciated!!) and we got a contractor to help us install that, as well as a new countertop, sink & faucet, backsplash, and floor. These changes have made such a difference in the whole feel of the room.

I had fun decorating this space. The color blue on the walls is my all-time favorite color. And my inspiration for the rest of the room was the wooden fish you see hanging on the wall above my pie safe. Not a great picture, but I think you can see that it is colorful and fun. I bought it at an artist's shop on Captiva Island, Fl. With that piece as my inspiration, we decided to go in the direction of fun!...the raspberry countertop, the fish tiles in the backsplash (from MacKenzie-Childs), the fish floorcloth (custom painted). I love it. I know this kind of color is not for everyone, and it might not work in a bigger kitchen, but it works here. I found a great fabric that incorporates the raspberry and blue perfectly in a cute plaid, and had valances made for the windows and an apron curtain for the space below the sink. I painted my pie safe the same raspberry as the counter and had fabric panels made to hang where there used to be tin covering the openings.

I'm very happy with how everything turned out, and even happier that the kitchen is in the 'completed' column of our project list. I'm sure you'd agree that it's motivating to keep going when you see results that you like!

8 comments:

Meg said...

It's Blue Dolphin by Pittsburgh Paints. It looks kind of blue/gray while you're painting, but it drys to a nice shade.

bethy said...

bravo! just beautiful!

Stitcher S said...

I stumbled upon your blog and it's thrilling to see a 1950's home redone as you've done it. We live in a home from that era, too and your work is inspiring. Thanks for sharing it here!

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

What a great transformation!

Martha said...

I found your blog by looking at other blogs and want to tell you I love your house and how you decorated it, the kitchen is so sweet, it reminds me of my first house years ago, but I left the kitchen as it was in your "before" photo, you are to be complimented on all the work you have done.

Jackie in Texas said...

I adore your home and am particularly impressed with your amazing kitchen makeover. It certainly showcases your considerable decorating talents! I look forward to visiting you again.

Jackie in Texas said...

Your home is adorable and I am particularly impressed with your amazing kitchen redo! It certainly showcases your considerable decorating talents! Great job!!

dana's design studio said...

Wow, really wonderful. Do you mind if I feature some of your before and afters on my blog? I love what you have done.
Dana