Friday, July 14, 2006

Those little 'cottage' touches

One of the things that drew me to this house was all the little nooks and crannies included. From what I understand, the guy who built it and lived here first was a carpenter, and he added all these great built-ins and extra storage spaces that you wouldn't expect. For instance, in the basement we have an entire wall with small built-in storage drawers, similar to what you find in a hardware store. They still have labels on them: nails, screws, measuring tape, etc. We've found that they are each just tall and wide enough to hold about 4 bottles of wine laying down.

Here's one of our notable nooks. It is a small shelf just off of our main room. Do you see the little telephone jack there? Unfortunately it is no longer in working condition. I have a picture frame that I usually keep centered on the shelf, and sometimes I put a little vase with fresh flowers there. I've also thought that it looks like the kind of shelf you see at church with a little bowl of holy water resting there.

3 comments:

bethy said...

oh, fun! another cottage lover! i love the quirky things that make old homes unique. i actually live in a newer home, so i have to make it more interesting with my unique finds. can't wait to read more about your cottage!
:)bethy

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Very cute little nook! Don't you just love the character of an older home? My house is really only about 30 years old and rather plain, so we're trying to figure out how to add more "cottage-y" elements.

I'm glad I found your blog and will be keeping up with you!

Meg said...

I have recently discovered both of your blogs, so I am equally a fan and will be keeping up regularly with you both, too! Thanks for stopping by and adding your thoughts!!