Thursday, September 07, 2006

wicker

Over the weekend we drove to my parents' house and, in addition to having a nice time relaxing and visiting and meeting my new baby niece (!), we picked up the 2 chairs and table that I was planning for my back porch. These belonged to my grandmother. She had these on her front porch for as long as I can remember, and in fact I have a picture in my bedroom of the two of us together on the chairs when I was about 5 or so. I'm not sure if you can tell, but they are in great condition. A new coat of paint and some cute cushions, and they'll be as good as new.

My husband flew out Monday night for work and my mom and I drove back with the kids on Tuesday. I was pretty determined to get these chairs here. Would you believe that we ended up strapping them to the top of my car - facing each other, standing straight up - with the table tied to them and resting in between? It reminded us of the Aunt Edna scene from "Vacation". But you know, with all the holes in the wicker, they worked out great up there! Couldn't even feel them when I was driving. My only regret is that I didn't take a picture.

My mom thinks I have enough room for another set of chairs. She and my dad are coming up next month, and now they're planning to do the strapping thing on their car. I'll be sure to capture it next time...

2 comments:

Marissa said...

They are perfect, I just love them, they are adorable. I love that they hold such great memories for you and you will cherish and enjoy these for years to come!

Suburban prep said...

They ar so perfect. They are going to have more memories associate with them. I have furniture at my house that was my grandmothers and I wouldn't think of getting rid of them.