Thursday, October 19, 2006

new couches

My couches aren't new, but I washed the slipcovers again this week, so they are looking new to me. We have two couches like this, purchased last year, both from Arhaus. This is the apartment-sized, and the other one is a loveseat.

Washable slipcovers are great. I add my name to the long list of people I used to read about who swore by theirs. I was always reading about these people in Cottage Living. Cats and dogs, sand and dirt - it seemed there was nothing in these homeowners' houses that could destroy the couches, and all because the slipcovers could be thrown into the washing machine. We don't have pets, and we don't live near the shore. I do have my fair share of dirt, and I suspect with two boys the dirt level will only increase around here over the years. So I'm optimistic that our couches will continue to look good and wear well. That's what those people in the articles always said.

5 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

So pretty, Meg! I love the thought of white slipcovers. I've had my eye out for good white slipcovers for a while now. I've had a hard time finding nice ones that look so tailored like yours do. I'll keep looking, though! (I have 3 kids and 2 dogs...hehe, I must be crazy!)

Meg said...

I looked for a long time, too, Kim. Mine are actually off-white with a very pale beige stripe. I think since they aren't "white white" it helps them keep that clean look. Good luck in your search!!

Anonymous said...

I love your slipcovers, Meg. Did they not come with your sofa? They look like they did. I'm trying to find a seamstress to make a slipcover for a chair for me. I just love that look.

Meg said...

Jen - Thank you - yes, they did come with the sofas. Before we decided to get new sofas I was looking for someone (like you are now) to make tailored slipcovers for my old set. I have a 2002 article from Country Home magazine that features a designer who makes slipcovers out of vintage material, and what she does is fantastic...I just could not find anyone like her around me. And my old couches needed to be replaced altogether, so finding this set was best for me. I hope you find someone who can help you. I would love to hear about it if you do.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Love mine! I found them at a garage sale. Buttercream Yellow........love them!